Saturday, January 20, 2007

The danger of our eyes

Whenever I hear a verse talking about "guarding your eyes" I always think, that's not for me, that's a verse for guys. But I noticed something tonight in Genesis 3 I have never seen before. When Eve committed that famous first sin, she was "captivated by what she saw". Through her eye gates, lust was born in her and that desire became sin, which James tells us, leads to death. What do my eyes linger toward? I don't know what your eyes desire, but I sure know what my eyes lead me to. A big house with a big yard, with big oak trees, with a big playroom, with a big kitchen, with a big bathroom, with a big laundry room.. and if all those things are not BIG, I am not interested. :)The point is, it isn't just guys that have to guard their eyes.. we do too. Would I rather have possessions or give? sometimes possesssions but when I would rather hoard my money on myself, I pray the Lord would remind me to stop LIVING FOR THIS WORLD! We are living in a world where materialism is even acceptable in the church. Let's all check ourselves and make sure, whether rich or poor, we are not captivated by what we see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home